The video for this lesson contains time sensitive information. Developments in the project discussed in the video which occurred after the release date are not covered in the video or this curriculum. See “Follow-Up Assignments” below for a way of addressing this fact in your lesson plan.
Anti-Rape Protests in India Spark Discussion
Video title, link and release date
Anti-Rape Protests in India Spark Discussion, June 7, 2013
Three minutes, Forty-four seconds
- Following the recent murder of a 23 year old Indian woman in New Delhi, India is receiving renewed attention regarding the vulnerability of women with disabilities to rape.
- Thousands of activists are rallying around India in protest of the government’s lack of protection of rape victims and prosecution of offenders.
- Recognizing that the debate was extremely relevant to women with disabilities, The Women with Disabilities in India organization released a letter demanding that they be included in the discussion.
- Both women and people with disabilities are highly discriminated against in India — for women with disabilities, the discrimination is two-fold.
- Activists are pushing for the passage of India’s Criminal Law Amendment Bill, which would address many of these issues.
1. What are some of the problems that the Indian justice system faces in incorporating the voices of people with disabilities into the legal world?
2. According to the Times of India, how much more likely are women with disabilities to be raped than women without?
3. What “first” would India’s Criminal Law Amendment Bill be for India?
Freewriting “Journal” Prompt
What about this report do you have questions about?
Research the India protests. What’s the current state of the protests and legislation?
What do you want to know more about?